Art21 encourages a wide variety of partners to host screenings, including: schools (K–12 and universities); libraries; museums; nonprofit organizations; galleries; alternative art/cultural spaces; community centers; and more. Visit the Screening Society FAQs for more about hosting a screening.
- Screening events must be free to attend; have the intention to gather more than 10 people to view a film; be universally accessible; and be advertised and open to the general public.
- Hosts must submit a post-event summary—including photos, attendance numbers, and guest registration sheets—to Art21 following their event.
Follow these 4 easy steps to become a Screening Society host
Step 1: Select one episode to screen
- “Berlin,” featuring Nathalie Djurberg & Hans Berg, Olafur Eliasson, Hiwa K, and Susan Philipsz
- “Johannesburg,” featuring David Goldblatt, Nicholas Hlobo, Zanele Muholi, and Robin Rhode
- “San Francisco Bay Area,” featuring Creative Growth Art Center, Katy Grannan, Lynn Hershman Leeson, and Stephanie Syjuco
Step 2: Set a date and location for your event
- Screenings of “Berlin” and “Johannesburg” must take place between September 22 and February 15, 2019
- Screenings of “San Francisco Bay Area” must take place between September 29 and February 15, 2019
- Choose a screening location with sufficient seating and power outlets for your projector, screen, and sound system
Step 3: Register your screening with Art21
You must submit the date and location of your screening at the time of registration.
- Register by August 31 for September screenings.
- Register by September 15 for October screenings.
- Register by October 15 for November screenings.
- Register by November 15 for December screenings.
- Register by December 15 for January screenings.
- Register by January 15 for February screenings.
Step 4: Prepare for your screening
- Engage your audience! Use our Educators’ Guide, Screening Guide, and Episode Previews (all available September 4) to plan a post-screening discussion, or invite local artists to speak and answer questions.
- Use our Press Images and Logos to promote your event to your community; make a Facebook event, submit your event to local newspapers, radio stations, and blogs.
- Share news, photos, videos, and audience feedback on social media:
- The name of your venue, location, and the date and time of your screening will be included on our Find a Screening page.
- Print our guest registration sheet to set out at the entrance to your event.
- At least two weeks prior to your screening, you will receive an email with a link and password to download the Season 9 episode you selected. Preview the footage and test it on your projector and sound equipment.
After Your Screening
- Submit your photos, total number of attendees, guest registration sheet, and feedback or reviews to Art21 and we’ll share them with our online community.
- Use our follow up email template to send a thank you to your attendees.