The application period for the 2019–2020 year of Art21 Educators is now closed. Subscribe to our monthly education newsletter for the latest updates on the Art21 Educators program.
2019–2020 Program Information
Summer Institute Location
The Summer Institute will be based at Teachers College, Columbia University. However, sessions occur around the city at various spaces. Please note that educators will be expected to travel around New York City for program events.
Summer Institute Dates
Monday, July 8, 2019 to Saturday, July 13, 2019
NYU housing is available at a subsidized rate this year of $68 per night for a shared room and $100 per night for a single room. Payment for housing will be collected in advance of the Institute. Applicants should indicate on their application whether they would like to stay in NYU Summer Housing and whether they prefer a single or double room.
Many participants often tell us that the informal conversations and gatherings that happen in the dorms are central to the sense of community that develops during this institute. We strongly encourage participants to stay in residential housing provided by NYU during the Summer Institute. However, please note that many sessions will occur at Teachers College, Columbia University.
NYU Summer Housing does not provide meals. Art21 estimates $40–65 per day for meals.
Art21 Educator Application Tips
- Time. Take the time to consider and answer written questions attentively and create a video biography representative of you. To have a competitive application, please give yourself adequate time to complete the required tasks.
- Edit. Proper spelling and grammar are essential. Proofread applications with a clear voice illustrate the applicant’s interest in and commitment to the program.
- Lesson Plan. As with the larger written application, when you submit a unit or lesson plan, please check those documents for spelling and grammatical errors. If submitting any additional links or images of student work, please check that links open or documents download properly.
- Be creative! Create a unique video that avoids cliches and gives us a sense of who you are and why you want to participate in Art21 Educators.
- Edit. Videos that are thoughtful, reviewed, and clearly showcase the applicant’s personality and voice will be prioritized.
- Check your links. Before and after sending your videos, please check that the links work properly. While we attempt to contact applicants whose videos do not work, this cannot be guaranteed. Please test your links before submitting your application.