Manager of Digital Communications
Art21 seeks a Manager of Digital Communications to join the Digital team in helping to grow and maintain the organization’s efforts across digital platforms. The Manager of Digital Communications works with the Director of Digital to help manage the organization’s overall presence across digital platforms.
About the position
Reporting to the Director of Digital, the Manager of Digital Communications is responsible for developing and implementing digital communications strategies primarily across social media channels. The position will contribute to the development of communications and audience engagement strategies across all Art21 initiatives. The ideal candidate has a demonstrated ability to produce compelling communications materials that align with the organization’s mission, vision, and brand.
This position collaborates with all Art21 departments to develop communications materials, ensuring alignment between Art21’s digital messaging and the overall organizational voice. As a member of a small nine-person staff, the position is both managerial and operational, requiring an ability to both develop and execute strategy.
This position is based in New York City.
- Act as the primary publisher of content to Art21’s social channels including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and more.
- Contribute to Art21’s overall communications strategy and initiatives.
- Author timely and timeless social content that draws from Art21’s active video projects as well as from Art21’s extensive video library.
- Develop social campaigns that extend and align with Art21’s larger marketing and communications strategies.
- Collaborate with staff across all departments to produce social campaigns supporting the entirety of Art21’s initiatives.
- Manage social media calendars, executing a reliable cadence of editorial and educational programming.
- Lead day-to-day audience engagement across social media platforms.
- Actively seek and pursue opportunities to collaborate on social spaces with key members of the art and art education community, including peer organizations, artists, and educators.
- Regular analysis and reporting of social campaigns and posts.
- Regularly follow trends about and around the social media landscape.
Our ideal candidate:
- Has a strong passion for art.
- Has a feel for telling stories through video.
- Is motivated to inspire creativity in audiences.
- Is intimately familiar with the ins and outs of social media.
- Can handle every aspect of authoring content for social platforms, including media creation and copywriting.
- Can thrive in a small-team setting.
- Keeps abreast of both the art and general news cycles.
- Knows their en dashes from their em dashes and has an opinion on serial commas.
- Strives to make accessible content.
- Has at least 3–5 years of communications, marketing, or related experience at cultural/nonprofit organizations.
- Superior writing, communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in creating media using software such as Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator, and similar tools.
- Working knowledge of established and emerging social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok.
- Intermediate HTML/CSS knowledge.
- Strong editorial skills and demonstrated knowledge of editorial style guides (e.g. Chicago Manual of Style, etc.) and best practices.
- Familiarity with gathering and analyzing data from analytics platforms such as Google Analytics.
- Ability to prioritize and organize multiple projects to meet deadlines.
Please email digital [AT] art21.org with the subject line “Manager of Digital Communications” and include the following attachments:
- Cover letter
- Relevant links, if any
No calls please, thank you.