Director of Development
Art21 seeks a Director of Development to join the leadership team in guiding Art21’s fundraising efforts. The Director of Development will work intimately with Art21’s Executive Director and Chief Curator to grow its income streams, to develop a holistic fundraising strategy, and to oversee organizational budgets in concert with the Executive Director.
Art21 seeks an entrepreneurial, creative, energetic director of development to work closely with the executive director, the staff, and the board of directors to build and expand upon a revitalized fundraising program. The ideal candidate will have experience raising money from individuals, foundations, corporations, and events and will be adept at identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors and supporting others in making asks. In addition, s/he will be passionate about contemporary art, contemporary artists, the creative process and arts education and have the ability to make a strong case for both restricted and unrestricted support.
The director of development will have the ability to:
- Work closely with the Executive Director and the board to develop and execute a strategic development plan that will provide Art21 with the financial resources to grow and thrive.
- Secure $2.2 mil annually for Art21’s operations and programs.
- Collaborate with Executive Director and campaign co-chairs on last stage of a board-restricted campaign fund.
- Manage the work of two development staff members providing clear direction, oversight, and opportunities for professional growth.
- Develop and oversee effective fundraising and cultivation events in association with the staff.
- Be ambitious and fearless in developing new sources for support including experience in corporate sponsorship and ideas for how to expand earned revenue through licensing.
- Oversee Annual Benefit including working intimately with its co-chairs.
- Oversee Art21’s Contemporary Council and Members programs in association with Associate Manager of Development.
- Develop and implement fundraising appeals, at least twice annually.
- In conjunction with the ED and the board, be an external presence for Art21 by attending external events, gallery openings, conferences, etc. to engage potential donors and promote the work of the organization.
- Build lasting relationships with a wide range of people, including high-net-worth individuals, corporate executives, foundation officers, board members, staff members, artists, educators, and other Art21 stakeholders.
- Create and deliver clear updates to members of the board and the ED so that they are aware of progress against fundraising goals in real-time.
- Develop and track departmental and organizational budgets.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, and collaborate with all staff.
- At least 7 years of fundraising experience in an art or art-related organization.
- A verifiable track-record of fundraising success.
- Strategic and tactical fundraising skills; success in this role requires thinking and doing.
- The ability to deploy limited resources for maximum impact.
- A winning personality, strong presence, and exceptional social skills.
- The drive and tenacity to be successful in a competitive fundraising environment.
Please email resume with cover letter to: jobs [at] art21.org, with the subject line “Director of Development”.
All resumes should be submitted as PDFs, saved using the following filing naming template: “Your Last Name, Your First Name_Resume”.
All cover letters should be submitted as PDFs, saved using the following filing naming template: “Your Last Name, Your First Name_Cover Letter”