About the position
We are looking for an organized and dedicated Curatorial Assistant with 2+ years of non-profit experience. Exceptional communication skills required. Must be a skilled multi-tasker, self-starter and be able to manage departmental needs and assist the Executive Director while also supporting the Production, Digital and Education teams in a fast-paced environment. The CA helps to shape the organization’s curatorial voice across platforms and projects. The CA will assist Art21’s Executive Director and Chief Curator in program initiatives such as conducting research for films, writing, programming, publishing, and administrative work in the context of curatorial functions. The CA works closely with Art21’s production and digital teams on drafting digital content, offering feedback related to artists and films, research and record keeping, board meeting materials related to curatorial, occasional education programming, and general communication and administrative work. This position reports to the Executive Director and Chief Curator.
The right candidate will excel at communication in written and verbal form, be a creative problem solver willing to work interdepartmentally. The CA must be comfortable drafting and handling communications within the organization and with outside stakeholders including but not limited to artists, gallerists, donors, museum professionals, and writers.
Reliability, professionalism, and consistency are necessary for this role to ensure efficient operations of the organization. The CA should be proactive with a strong desire to keep abreast of movements and discourses in contemporary art across platforms online and in person. Attention to detail is also key for this role. This individual will be an essential member of a small team at a dynamic non-profit organization and will provide support to all programmatic efforts. This is a full-time position with an attractive benefits package. Salary commensurate with experience.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Draft artist bios and film descriptions, and assemble necessary research materials on Art21 artists
- Provide assistance to the Executive Director and Chief Curator and Production teams on attending and scheduling artist visits, occasional travel planning for ED, coordination of materials for meetings, maintaining contact lists, and other related support
- Preview and provide notes on rough and fine cuts of films, support production team where needed, including but not limited to crafting artist interview questions
- Draft correspondence and assist the Executive Director and Development team with proposals and grant applications as needed
Assist in clearing image rights for online and in film usage
- Oversee occasional print publication projects, including editing texts, gathering images and image rights, liaising with distributor and graphic designer, maintaining a project timeline and budget
- Maintain abreast of Art21 artists’ exhibitions and other opportunities; attend art fairs, gallery shows, and exhibitions
- Serve as liaison between artists and various departments, tracking communications and managing requests and invitations
- Work with Digital department to plan editorial artist features, themes, contributors, and articles; co-edit editorial pieces, as needed
- Work with Education department on needed curatorial texts, such as Film Screening and Education Guides
- Represent the curatorial team at Development events and presentations, as needed
- Maintain office library inventory (books, artworks, and DVDs) and organization; procure artist items for “gift” stock
- Update curatorial section of activity reports for Board of Trustees as necessary
- Assist education team on public programs, including coordinating with participating artists, assisting with identifying artist participants and recommending partners
- Undertake and complete tasks as they arise
- Suggest and implement improvements to processes and procedures in order to maintain efficiency
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. Art21 is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color; LGBTQIA+ individuals; people with disabilities; and all others regardless of immigration history. No phone calls, please.
Please email resume with cover letter to: jobs [at] art21.org, with the subject line “Curatorial Assistant”.
All resumes and cover letters should be submitted as PDFs, saved using the following filing naming template: “Last Name, First Name_Resume or Cover Letter”.
Special note: Due to the pandemic, Art21 is currently working remotely and the CA should be ready to maintain schedules, communications, and all aspects of the position from their own home for the time being. Necessary technology will be provided by Art21. All operations will return to Art21’s offices in New York City when it is safe to do so.