The Associate Producer is a newly envisioned role at the New York City-based, arts and documentary non-profit Art21 that will critically expand our internal capacity to support and produce our celebrated, Peabody Award-winning documentary films. Working closely with Art21’s Director of Production and Staff Producer, the Associate Producer role is an invaluable opportunity for an early career filmmaker to be nurtured by experienced documentary professionals, make significant creative contributions to Art21’s growing catalog of films, and in general be part of an industry leading organization committed to filmmaking excellence. The Associate Producer will be especially involved in the Art21’s long-running, multiple Vimeo Staff Pick-winning “Extended Play” and “New York Close Up” documentary shorts projects, however workload will shift based on production schedules.
Art21 is looking for a candidate with two to three years of professional experience in documentary producing and directing capacities, with multiple producer and/or director credits (preferably on client or commissioned projects) and strong familiarity with post-production tools and workflows. More experienced candidates are encouraged to apply.
Art21 is currently working in a hybrid model with most staff required in the office one day per week. The Associate Producer is a full-time position based in the New York metro area. Art21 requires that all staff members are vaccinated. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
Salary range is 65-68k annually. Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental, life and vision insurance (premium covered by Art21), commuter benefits, summer Fridays, professional development opportunities, generous paid time-off policy, and most importantly an excellent work/life balance.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. Art21 is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color; LGBTQIA+ individuals; people with disabilities; and all others, regardless of immigration history. No phone calls, please.
Art21 is a celebrated global leader in presenting thought-provoking and sophisticated content about contemporary art, and the go-to place to learn first-hand from the artists of our time. A nonprofit organization, Art21’s mission is to inspire a more creative world through the works and words of contemporary artists. Art21 provides unparalleled access to the artist’s voice to diverse audiences around the world, using the power of digital media to introduce millions of people to contemporary art and artists. For over two decades, Art21 has changed the paradigm for teaching and learning about the creative process.
In addition to its Peabody Award-winning PBS-broadcast television series “Art in the Twenty-First Century,” Art21 produces “New York Close Up” and “Extended Play” short film series. Art21 also creates educational resources and professional development programs; annual public programming; an online publication featuring guest contributors; and a comprehensive website at Art21.org.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist Series Producers in day-to-day and overall management of the “Extended Play” and “New York Close Up” short film series
- Direct communication with artists and contracted filmmaking teams, including possibility of on-location shoot support
- Direct participation in internal curatorial, editorial, distribution, and promotion conversations, including cut reviews
- Media management and general post production supervision, including coordinating assistant editors, color correction, audio mix, final mastering and delivery, to take place both remotely and in the office
- Assist in creation of digital assets as required by Art21 Digital & Communications staff
- Lead production and editorial responsibility on individual short films, including creating treatments, hiring crew, on-location directing, directly supervising and providing feedback on edits, and in general ensuring film is delivered in time for online distribution. The scale and intensity of the Associate Producer’s directorial work is contingent on their previous experience and proving an understanding and commitment to Art21 production standards.
- Work closely with the Director of Production and assist in the supervision of the post-production and delivery “Art in the Twenty-First Century” broadcast series
- Hire and manage assistant editors and provide direct support to editors
- Schedule and supervise color correction, audio mix and other post-production vendors and coordinate the series post finishing processes (including but not limited to archival media acquisition and various visual effects processes, including series graphics and on-screen text and credits)
- Catalogue and store all Art21 video projects original footage and program masters to archival formats (includes the digital organization and logging all crucial legal documentation like music cue sheets, releases, third party agreements, and other document deliverables)
- Strategize and manage all film festival submissions, including directly maintaining Art21’s FilmFreeway account with the Director of Production and the Digital and Communications team. Also support the Comms team in creation and re-purposing of Art21 content for licensing clients and other distribution.
- Support the strategic initiatives laid out in Art21’s capacity building campaign including production partnerships, new filmmaker professional development programs and more, as needed
- Additional administrative duties as they arise
Skills & Qualifications
- Serious and proven professional commitment to documentary filmmaking including two to three years of professional experience in different documentary production capacities with multiple producer and/or director credits (preferably on client or commissioned projects)
- Strong experience and familiarity with post-production tools, including Premiere Pro and other Adobe Creative Suite apps, and post production workflows like color correction and audio mixing
- Ability to work collaboratively and sensitively within small teams, maintain crucial ongoing working relationships with independent filmmakers and vendors, and in general possess culturally responsive, superior communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize and organize multiple projects to meet deadlines.
- Proven interest in creative documentary storytelling style and techniques and strong familiarity with current industry visual and narrative trends.
- A strong interest in contemporary art is extremely helpful though not required but candidates must be able to engage with and prioritize Art21’s contemporary art-centered core mission and values.
Please email resume, cover letter, and work samples to: jobs [at] art21.org, with the subject line “Associate Producer”
All resumes and cover letters should be submitted as PDFs, saved using the following filing naming template: “Last Name, First Name_Resume or Cover Letter”