Associate Director of Digital Communications
The Associate Director of Digital Communications is responsible for Art21’s digital media-based initiatives and strategies, including the oversight and management of the organization’s presence across digital platforms. The position advocates for establishing Art21’s digital presence as a means to support and execute Art21’s overall mission, vision, and goals.
As a member of a small, high-producing team (currently 11 full-time staff, not including this role), the Associate Director of Digital Communications is a rich opportunity for strategic digital expansion and broadening distribution. The ideal candidate will bring strong working knowledge of media distribution channels and social media strategy. The Associate Director of Digital reports to the Senior Director of Communications and Partnerships.
Art21 is currently working in a hybrid model with most staff required in the office one day per week. The Associate Director of Digital Communications is a full-time position and may be based outside the New York metro area for fully remote work. If not working from New York, this role will be required to travel to New York City approximately five times per year for 2-3 days at a time for important meetings and events. Expenses will be covered by Art21 when travel is required. Art21 requires that all staff members are vaccinated.
Benefits include medical, dental, life and vision insurance, commuter benefits, summer Fridays, professional development opportunities, generous paid time-off policy, and most importantly an excellent work/life balance.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. Art21 is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color; LGBTQIA+ individuals; people with disabilities; and all others, regardless of immigration history. No phone calls, please.
Essential Job Functions
The following functions are not intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all functions performed by this position but represent a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties as needed.
- General oversight of Art21.org including managing, programming, and publishing as well as overseeing work with web developers
- Develop and execute strategies for the presentation and distribution of content across digital platforms and technologies
- Initiate and manage digital advertising campaigns and pitch to relevant publications
- Work with a team to execute the vision and strategies across digital initiatives
- Manage the creation and production of digital content alongside Curatorial Assistant, Manager of Digital Communications, and Associate Director of Education, collaborating with staff from all departments to develop content for digital platforms
- Supports external partnership relationships
- Develop and execute organization-wide branding and communication strategies in collaboration with Senior Director of Communications and Partnerships
- Establish strategies for communicating with audiences via digital tools, including consultation on social media platforms and email campaigns along with the Manager of Digital Communications
- Oversee development of graphic design materials used primarily for digital initiatives
- Interface with the PBS Digital department to implement Art211-administered initiatives, utilize PBS-created tools, participate in PBS-sponsored projects, and adhere to PBS guidelines
- Analyze and report on audience trends, behavior, and usage of the organization’s digital platforms and tools,
- Identify, plan, and implement standards and best practices, staying abreast of related initiatives from comparable organizations and institutions
- Promote a culture of organization-wide digital literacy amongst staff and constituents
- Superior writing, communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity in working with media using software such as Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator, and similar tools.
- Intermediate HTML/CSS and WordPress Multisite knowledge.
- Comfortability with email marketing templates such as Mailchimp etc.
- Confidence in troubleshooting and anticipating web maintenance (working with developers as needed).
- Strong editorial skills and demonstrated knowledge of editorial style guides (e.g. Chicago Manual of Style, etc.) and best practices.
- Familiarity with gathering and analyzing data from analytics platforms such as Google Analytics.
- Commitment and interest in tagging initiatives across Art21 content.
- Desire to keep abreast of digital advancements and best practices and standards in the field.
- Ability to prioritize and organize multiple projects to meet deadlines.
Please email resume and cover letter to: jobs [at] art21.org, with the subject line “Associate Director of Digital Communications”
All resumes and cover letters should be submitted as PDFs, saved using the following filing naming template: “Last Name, First Name_Resume or Cover Letter”.