This week, Carrie Mae Weems accepted the 2016 National Artist Award at Anderson Ranch Arts Center’s 50th anniversary celebration. Season 8 artist Edgar Arceneaux joined the faculty at USC. And New York Close Up artist Josephine Halvorson shared the motivations behind her latest project, Measures, three outdoor sculptures on view at Storm King Art Center. Also this week:
- Ai Weiwei’s lawyer was sentenced to seven years in prison for “subverting state power” in China.
- Kerry James Marshall gave Michelle Obama a personal tour of his exhibition Mastry at MCA Chicago.
- Wink Books shared a peek inside Chris Ware’s 2012 box set of comics, Building Stories.
Events & exhibitions
- RENO, NEVADA—Ai Weiwei’s Circle of Animals/Zodiac Heads is on view at the Nevada Museum of Art until October 23rd. [Learn more about the exhibition on KUNR.]
- EAST HAMPTON, NY | Thursday, August 11th & Saturday, August 13th—Catch a screening of Laurie Anderson’s film Heart of a Dog at Guild Hall on Thursday, and attend her “Concert for Dogs” with your pup at the Longhouse Reserve Amphitheater on Saturday.
Around the world
- SHANGHAI—The Long Museum’s new exhibition, She, features artwork from thirteen countries by 105 artists, including Louise Bourgeois, Yoko Ono, and Cao Fei. On view through October 30th, the exhibition is divided into four chapters: self-annihilation, self-liberation, self-introspection, and self-expression.