Last week was a big one for New York Close Up artists! Boston University announced that Josephine Halvorson is joining its faculty as a professor of painting. And Rashid Johnson became the second artist ever to join the board of the Guggenheim Foundation. Also:
- Artnet tells us something we already know: why we should care about Season 8 artist Tala Madani.
- Marina Abramović made a powerful statement about women artists in a new personal interview with the German newspaper Tagesspiegel.
- And Mel Chin made the design of his most recent land art piece public to encourage “mirror sites” as a way to raise awareness about the ongoing drought in California.
Events & exhibitions
- Saturday, July 30th, Damrosch Park—As a part of Lincoln Center’s Out of Doors Festival, Laurie Anderson has curated a day-long tribute to her late husband Lou Reed.
- KANSAS CITY—Property, a new exhibition by Nick Cave, opened last Saturday at the Nelson-Atkins Museum, where it will remain on view through the end of the year.
- LOS ANGELES—A new series of photographs,Untitled (Beach Day #2), by Catherine Opie have been installed at the Beverly Center mall.
- ASPEN, CO—Several new works by Season 2 artist Gabriel Orozco will be on view at an Aspen Art Museum exhibition opening Friday, July 29th.
- ANN ARBOR, MI—An exhibition of work by Mark Bradford, entitled Spiderman, opens this Saturday, July 30th at the University of Michigan Museum of Art.
Around the world
- BERLIN—A new installation by James Turrell lights up the entire interior of a memorial chapel in a Berlin cemetery. It’s on view every Saturday and Monday, 30 minutes before sunset.
- LEEDS, UK—The Body Extended, a new exhibition at the Henry Moore Institute, features work by Louise Bourgeois and Matthew Barney, alongside other artists’ reactions to advances in the treatment and care of the human body. [Read a review on Artnet.]
- CUENCA, SPAIN—A new exhibition by Ai Weiwei entitled S.A.C.R.E.D depicts the 81 days the artist spent in a Chinese prison in 2011. Located in a 12th century cathedral in the medieval city of Cuenca, the exhibition runs through November 6th.
- SEOUL—Archive of Mind, an exhibition of nine works by Kimsooja opens Wednesday, July 27th at the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea.
- MYKONOS, GREECE—Greek Gotham, a group show featuring work by assume vivid astro focus, is on view July 29th through August 27th at Dio Horia. The exhibition draws parallels between ancient Greece and present-day New York City.